By request, here is the recipe for one of the dishes! (Shown above)
This recipe is a slight deviation from the real traditional Indian Dal Makhani.
Ingredients (Serves 4 people)
- Dal – Black lentils (can be easily found in Indian store or Kruger’s) – 1 cup
- Chopped tomatoes – 1 large
- Chopped onion – 1 medium
- Chopped green chilli – 3 (you can forgo them)
- Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Garam Masala – 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder (yellow) – ¼ tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Heavy cream – ¼ pint.
- Red Kidney beans – ½ can
- Grated ginger – ½ inch piece
- Chopped cilantro – few twigs to garnish.
- You can also add ½ -1 tablespoon of red crushed pepper to make it spicy – but it is optional.
- Oil – 3-4 tablespoons.
- Pressure cook lentils for 2 whistles – if you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can soak the lentils for 4-5 hours and cook in a pot with 3 cups of water for 30 mins. Remove from flame as soon as the lentils are soft and edible.
- Put oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies and grated ginger.
- Once the onions turn golden, add turmeric powder and stir.
- Add tomatoes.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked, add garam masala and salt.
- Add ½ a can of red kidney (or pinto) beans.
- Add the cooked lentils to the pan
- Let all these simmer for 10 minutes on medium flame
- Add ¼ pint of fresh cream 2-3 minutes before you are about to turn off the flame (shouldn’t leave the fresh cream to cook for long as it may curdle)
- Add chopped cilantro.